Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sault Ste. Marie – Day 1 (Saturday 7/9 - no wi-fi access yesterday!)

The story of US!
Yesterday's trip was 244 miles.  239 of them were on I-75 N.    NOTE – there are REST areas on the highway, not SERVICE areas.  If you need to get gas, you need to detour off the highway.

Unfortunately we were unable to get the following photo opps:
  • The man at the rest area who was a survivor of the USS Arizona (one of those times when we were absolutely in awe and didn’t think to get a picture until after he left)
  • The HUGE (at least 20 feet tall) beer bottle outside of  Big Buck’s restaurant (but you can Google "big beer bottle, Michigan" and find a picture)
  • A hand-painted sign that read, “My wife begged me to come home…” – leaving both of us to say, “What did that sign say???”
  • The last exit for gas “for the next 50 miles” in St. Ignace had only two gas stations, neither of which sold premium unleaded gas.  Are you kidding??  This is Michigan, the car capital of the country and you don’t sell premium gas???  (Our bikes are gagging on regular unleaded).
Highlights:
  • Vaughn’s bike keys flew out of his pocket on the Interstate.  Fortunately, I was behind him, but it takes a little time to pull over to the shoulder when you’re going 70 mph.   I let Vaughn know through our intercom system.  And I was the hero, by going back to pick them up, risking my life walking into the road to pick them up … I do go on, don’t I?
  • Wherever we stop, someone comes up to talk to Vaughn about bikes because they ride, used to ride, want to ride, etc.
  • Going across the Mackinac Bridge.  Very cold, windy and scary!  There were metal grates in the bridge which could easily grab the tires and take the steering out of my control.  But Vaughn talked me through it (my hero) and I can chalk that up to one more “biker chick “experience. 
  • They sell home-made pasties here.  This is pronounced with a short ‘a’.   We were reading it with a long ‘a’ and Vaughn thought it was hysterical.   Pronounced with a short ‘a’ it is like a meat pie/turnover, and we haven’t tried one (or two) yet…
  • Vaughn ordered FISH for dinner, and it was DEEP FRIED!!  (Enough said for those of you who know him…)  And he really enjoyed it!





Lowlights:

Our bikes, boots, clothes were COVERED with splattered bugs by the time we got here.




  • There are no Dunkin’ Donuts (or any other kind) in this part of the UP – Upper Peninsula.  But if you want moccasins for 25% off, you’ve come to the right place!

    Some signs you just can't make up!

    1 comment:

    1. We saw a similar sign during a road trip and Josh made the observation, "Why would they pay you to injure or kill someone? And how would they know how old you are?" When I asked what he meant, he told me he thought "Fine" meant it was fine to have 7,500 if you did killed or injured someone and Jail meant you were 15 years old.

      ReplyDelete